Friday, December 1, 2006

Sailors belong on ships


Well, it's finally December and I have to admit, the time is flying. In about three short months from today I'll be on a plane heading back to the ol' U.S. of A. They've been playing holiday music on AFN (Armed Forces Network) radio lately and I gotta tell ya, this ain't Christmas to me, Jack. Stuck in the middle of the desert listening to Bing Crosby just doesn't quite bring out that festive spirit for some reason. I hate to sound like I'm complaining all the time, but being stuck here during the holidays blows chunks. Didn't get to help Amy put up the lights, didn't get to decorate the tree, won't get to see The Stinkers open up their presents, and didn't even get the chance to remind Amy that the nativity set she just had to have (and that gets put out once a year for three weeks) cost more than the chess table I had to beg for. At least if I was deployed on a ship I'd feel like I was doing something productive, but as it is I just feel like I'm missing out. Bah, humbug.
While we're nowhere near the subject...

In other news, the Pope is on his way to Turkey to meet with Islamic clerics and spread the good message of dialogue and "brotherhood" to the Muslims. I suppose this is his pennance for putting his foot in his mouth a few months ago with his statement that Mohammed's teachings were "evil and inhuman." It's political. It's gotta be. If it's not, I don't understand why he bothers. Who cares if the Muslims and the Catholics don't get along, so long as they're not strapping a dozen bricks of C4 to their chests during mass? I mean, c'mon. Don't both religions -- deep down -- believe those who don't subscribe to their respective faiths are gonna burn in hell anyway? Since these people get all worked up over semantics, it seems to me that would be the bigger insult.

Why did the Muslims get so upset with Big Benedict about what he said anyway? All they'd have had to do is turn around and say, "Yeah, well, Ben? You're going to hell for that. Dirka, dirka, blah lah la." Can you imagine the outrage that would've followed if they'd have dropped the H-bomb on the Pope? Freaky. Probably would've blown a few minds to think about where those other priestly pederasts were headed after their convictions, too.
Anyways, gotta run. Preps, ya know. Might be a couple of big-shots coming to town soon so of course it's DEFCON 1 around here. God forbid someone doesn't get their door opened or their ass wiped. Catch ya later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Matt- I wish you could be with Amy and the girls too, for Christmas. I also wish the 4 of you would be planning a trip to Iowa for the holiday. Your presence here would ease the discomfort of the dysfunction I'm left to deal with around here. No, it's not too bad, things are good actually. but I do wish you all were here. Love you and think about you daily! Addy.