Saturday, December 16, 2006

Boredom begets negativity

You know, I've been thinking -- hey, not too late start something new! -- I've been a little too negative about being over here for Christmas. I've been 'bah-humbuging' and just kinda being a Grinch about the whole deal and I've taken it out on you, my few, but very dear readers. I know it's because I'm bored. When you're bored, you start to think too much -- about things you're missing out on, things you could be doing, who you're missing most...it's just a downward spiral. But I won't digress into that story y'all know so well. I just never really counted my blessings since I've been here and I gotta tell ya, I was surprised. Well, not really surprised (I always knew what I had) but never really took it all in, so to speak. So today I'm just going to take a minute and list a very few of the many things I have to be thankful for:
  • First and foremost, my beautiful wife, Amy. She has been an absolute saint about this whole deployment. Sure, she was a bit hesitant when I told her I wanted to go, but she understood why and supported me 110%. She has been a wonderful mother to our two beautiful little girls, has taken on a huge responsibility of being a single parent while I'm gone, taking care of everything back on the homefront (which is almost an overwhelming job on its own), all the while striving to better herself by taking classes and working out. She's taken care of me over here, sending me packages of stuff I like and need almost weekly, and has had a tremendously positive attitude even while I've been gone. I can't even begin to describe how much she means to me and how her love and support has enabled me to do my best over here. I love her so much -- I just don't have the words. Thank you for being who you are and loving me in spite of my many, many shortcomings, sweetheart. You make me want to be a better man for you and our girls.
  • My "Little Punkins." I'm so thankful to have such a beautiful, smart, funny, talented, charming, and energetic pair of girls that sometimes I can't even believe I'm their Daddy. It just isn't enough to say I love them -- I adore my Maddy & Gracie Kate. They are my little stinkers and I thank God every day that he's allowed Amy & I to have these two wonderful little souls to raise. They are truly my own personal miracle.
  • Mom, Dad, Suzanne, Mark & Emily. My parents & brother & sisters have been an absolute joy. Sure, we've had our turn getting lost in Dysfunction Junction, but the fact remains that they are my blood and they've been there for me through thick & thin. Every one of them mean the world to me and I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for the wonderful people they are individually and what they've been to me collectively. I'm so proud to call them my family. I am indeed a lucky man. Lucky to have such a sweet mother who did such a good job raising me to be a compassionate man but to always stick to my guns; lucky to have a father who worked so hard to provide for all us kids and taught me the meaning and importance of a good work ethic; lucky to have such an outspoken, loving sister who, even though I'm older, I still look up to; lucky to have a successful, caring brother who's always there when I need him; and lucky to have such a funny, talented sister who, when you're around her, always makes you feel like you're the star in your own movie. I have been truly blessed.
  • My in-laws. Brad, Carol & Josh -- you can't really put a price on good in-laws. It makes a marriage so much easier. (Not that I would know otherwise.) But to say Brad, Carol & Josh are merely good wouldn't cut it, either. They're phenomenal people. To enjoy your spouse's family is a pretty rare commodity in this day and age, and I'm one lucky SOB to have sweet talked my way into theirs. I'm very thankful that they allowed me to marry their daughter.
  • My friends. Tim, "I'm Eric Holiman, bitch!", Carlos, Dan & Jill, Barry & Leisa, Ray, Sam & Peggy, Morgan, Stewie, Bally, Drew, Langer, Jacob, Larsen, Gary, Joe, Todd, Strip, D.J., Eileen, Babs, Shannon, Nicole, Joey, Leslie, Tyrone, Denny, Steff, Mike, Cheri C., Misty, Robin, Jenny, Jason, Kinesha and many, many more that have done so much for me and meant so much to me over these past few months and over these last few years. I'm a better person having met and become friends with all of these people. These good peeps have enriched my life immeasurably and I'm a better person for having had the privilege of becoming friends with them. They say you're lucky if you have eight close friends in your entire lifetime...well, I can honestly say I've doubled that and then some.
  • My bosses. Todd, number one, because the man has bent over backwards to help me out personally and professionally. He's gone the extra mile to help me become a better petty officer and hopefully, a good chief someday. Master Chief Flanary (Durant now, I guess -- congrats, Tom!) and Senior Chief Humphrey, both of whom have had my back since the git-go and have gone to bat for me on numerous occasions. They have hooked a brother up. And last, but certainly not least, LCDR Kile, who (along with his wife, Mimi) have made this deployment more bearable for both Amy and myself by taking care of me professionally and by helping Amy cope with our separation. These people are the very personification of leadership and, were it not for the fact that I still currently work for them, would be counted amongst my friends as well. They have taught me a lot and I'm thankful to have such professionalism and leadership to look to for guidance. (And I don't mean all this in an Eddie Haskel sort of way, either. My eval's already signed! w00t!)
  • My Navy. Yes, I said My Navy. I know it's cheesy and cliched, but I don't really give a shit. I love the Navy. It's taught me a lot about myself and it's taught me a lot about other people. Plus, it's given me a steady paycheck for twelve years! But seriously, the Navy is a great organization with a rich heritage and a noble purpose. I'm proud to be a part of it.
  • My neighbors. Sure, it's Wisteria Lane with all the girls huddled on the streetcorner gossiping all the time, but while it can be disturbing in it's content it's somehow comforting in its predictability. You can always count on Joey to be heading out to play in the next big (football, softball, golf...pick one) game, Jason & Brian in one of their garages welding/building/tinkering with their next big project, Cale wandering the streets with Abby looking for the houses with garage doors cracked with people inside smoking doobies, and Amy, Andrea, Leslie, Christy & Kerri outside, margaritas or beer in hand, whispering about who broke the bottles in the street during the party across the way the night before. I'm so glad we moved to the neighborhood we did because each and every one of these young families are interesting, nice, and different in their own ways that make them endearingly unique. They've taken care of and watched out for Amy & the girls while I've been gone and have been almost like a surrogate family. What a great bunch.
  • Finally, my country. I'm thankful that we care enough about people to fight for them so they can live in freedom. I'm thankful that those sent over to fight and support the war aren't forgotten by those we serve to protect. I'm thankful that not only are we the most powerful country in the world, we're also the most generous country in the world. I'm thankful that we have a President who stands up for what he believes in and has the cajones to see it through to the end, even if that means some of us have to miss out on being home for the holidays. Bottom line: I'm thankful to be an American.

Well, that's a mouthful. But just know that if you're reading this that I'm thankful for you, too. Thankful for your support, thankful for your taking the time to read all these meandering thoughts, and most of all, thankful for your friendship. Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I honelstly can't believe that nobody posted a comment about this particular blog. Matt....I gotta tell you it brought tears to my eyes. You're awesome. I wish I had the ability to write like you do. The tears left when I didn't see my name on your list of friends. Just kidding. I haven't sent you an invite to the wedding yet anyways. Keep writing, I love it. I need to stay up on it better.