Monday, February 5, 2007

Join the Navy, See the World

That’s what the poster said. And they weren’t kiddin’ neither, son.

Just got back from Djibouti and Ethiopia (Africa) on my very last trip as the Aide De Camp last weekend. It’s not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Their accommodations there aren’t too awful bad. Plus, they have beer and that’s always a bonus. Africa was the last continent on the planet (besides Antarctica) that I had to visit in my Navy travels. Can't say the Navy engages in false advertising.


Incidentally, when I was a kid and didn’t want to eat something during supper time, one of my mom’s favorite sayings was, “You eat that! There are starving kids in Ethiopia who would DIE to eat what’s on your plate!” Well, I looked while I was in Ethiopia (see pic at right) and didn’t find a single one, Mom. Your pants are on fire.

18 days and a wake up now, kids! I got my wish and have been relegated to a corner desk in the back office (Sustainment Division), forgotten. And I get Saturdays off. Yay! Three weeks from today I’ll be sleeping in my own bed at home in Fort Worth. Can’t wait!

No comments: