Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Half-Way Home


Well, since I'm almost half-way done with my little stint here in this great big litterbox they named Kuwait, I guess it's almost irrelevant for me to be posting this blog this late in the game. But nevertheless, I'll catch you up on all the happenings.

I reported to the United States Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center -- but we just call it the CDDOC -- on September 11, 2006. Our official mission here goes a little something like this:

U.S. Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center (CENTCOM DDOC) is a forward deployed 65-person joint division of the J4 Directorate of Central Command. Comprised primarily of NCOs and senior officers, the rolls include Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen and civilians to include representation from the Active, Reserve and National Guard components from all branches.

Established on 17 January 2004 through a charter among General Abizaid, General Handy, and General Kern, the mission of the CENTCOM DDOC is to synchronize and optimize distribution, force movement, and sustainment throughout the CENTCOM theater. From the factory to the fighting position, CENTCOM DDOC exists to support the warfighters engaging the enemy in Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM.


What it boils down to is that we're an under-employed bunch of people from all branches of service desperately looking for something to validate the reason we left our family & friends back home.

I was originally slated to be just an admin NCO, but applied to become Aide-de-Camp for the CDDOC Director (a general selected for two-stars) and got it. I was initially excited because I was operating under the assumption that I'd be busy most of the time. How wrong I was. You see, the aide keeping busy is pretty much contingent upon the general traveling, of which mine does little. However, I've (thus far) been to Baghdad, Iraq and Qatar, so things haven't been entirely dead.

Other than a little travel and handling some minor joint admin issues, I'm pretty much just "the gopher" -- as an E-6, I'm the second lowest ranking person in the CDDOC; second only to an Air Force Staff Sergeant -- for the general and anyone else who needs anything. Let me tell you how much fun that is. Woo. Hoo.

Anyways, here's where I'll be posting pics, telling you how much I'm doing (or not doing, as the case usually is), and jotting down some random thoughts. Hopefully I'll keep up with it. Lord knows I've got the time.

1 comment: